Monday, June 9, 2008

Serious Sushi




On Friday we arrived in Tokyo!!! We checked into our hotel which was in an awesome location near the Imperial Palace and directly across from the Hanzomon subway stop. That night, we met up with a friend of Brian's from ASU and her international group of friends for dinner and dancing in Roppongi. Roppongi is the music and club center of Tokyo and where you'll find the most foreigners. It was a fun night and while we were only out till 2am (the others stayed till dawn), we'd planned to go to the Tsukiji Fish Market the next morning at 6am for a sushi breakfast. Yeah right. We ended up going at 11am which meant that we missed all the action (auctioning of the morning's catch) but we were able to get in line for lunch at one of the dozen fresh-as-you-can-get sushi restaurants. Some lines were several hours long. We found a place where we waited outside for only 45 minutes. The lines are so long for each restaurant because of high demand but also because each restaurant is only about 8ft by 14ft. Big enough for a sushi bar and seats for roughly 12 customers. It was so tight that when I sat down I had to put my legs to the side because there wasn't enough room for them between my stool and the bar and space for the waiter to get by behind me. It was the most intimidating meal I've ever had. The chef was about three feet in front of me, with a stern expression that meant I better like and finish the masterpiece he'd prepared because anything less would be dishonorable. Fortunately it was delicious! But an enormous portion which I could not finish. I tried, but I contemplated the consequence - not being able to keep it down and having to leave the sushi bar running. Every delectable piece of Nigiri was buttery, perfectly fresh, beautifully vibrant and expertly presented! Sushi heaven! We didn't take any photos inside but I did snap a shot of the menu board ( I had selection C, Brian had D).

No comments:

Post a Comment